Monday, July 5, 2010

Free Day! Bollywood Blockbuster and "American" Food

Saturday July 3, 2010:
Today was a free day on our schedule. As has become routine, I began the day by calling my family on Skype (Saturday AM for me, Friday PM for them before the kids go to bed). After breakfast, I spent a good deal of time editing and uploading photos on Facebook and catching up on this blog.

After lunch, a small group of us (about six) met in the auditorium/classroom for a screening of the very popular Bollywood movie "The Three Idiots" starring Aamir Khan. We got ice cream and water from the MyCafe Canteen beforehand. It was a long (nearly 3 hour) but interesting movie. It was only sparsely subtitled, but we got the basics of the story. It's broken many box-office records in India since its premiere in about January of this year, because its on the controversial topic of the Indian college experience and the societal and familial pressure to pursue engineering degrees over one's personal interests and passion. I'd love to see it again with full subtitles. It was an excellent movie, and I felt that it really helped to introduce us to the academic environment and culture of India.

After the movie, I spent more time in my room until late in the evening due to the intense rain. Many of us didn't eat dinner in the dining hall until after 9pm when the rains subsided. The campus chef was very proud to be serving "American Night"...and it was the worst food yet by far! There was garlic bread (okay), hot and sour soup (didn't try), macaroni and cheese (sweet...yuck!), and a VERY spicy penne pasta (the hottest thing I've ever tried, by far). At least they served little cups of ice cream at the end! I'd much rather have authentic Indian food than their attempt at American dishes:). Finally, it was time to shower and go to bed around 10:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment